Your role is to ensure the smooth running of your production area
Manage and organise the day to day running of your production area including:
- Have a clear plan for the next 7 days – who is going to work on what, and a rough plan for the following 14 days. Is prepared to communicate this to the
factory management & project engineers.
- Allocate the correct jobs to yourself and your staff in line with your/their skills Read drawings to determine the job requirements before allocating the work.
- Ensure that top priority jobs are being worked on and that your team have what they need to complete the task.
- Check that operators are scanning on the correct jobs
- Ensure that all parts on the picklist are used, if the picklist is wrong, report back to stores.
- Check your area to ensure doors are secured and equipment turned off before leaving or hand over responsibility for night time shut down if you are not the last to leave. Focus on all safety and personnel issues including:
- Ensure staff in your area wear appropriate Personal Protective Equipment. Ensure jobs are carried out efficiently in terms of time and materials
- Check equipment in your area daily for damage or wear and ensure all equipment is in a safe working condition with guards fitted as appropriate. Report any issues to the production manager.
- Developing team: identifies training needs, draws attention to best practise, holds toolbox talks and refers problems to factory management
- Productivity: keeps their team working and motivated and pulls up slackers. Maintain high quality and efficient production including:
- Quality: ensure equipment is manufactured to high standard by checking drawings and checking the quality of each piece of work before handing on the next one.
- Liaise with project managers and the factory manager re anticipated problems which could affect dispatch deadlines or build quality
- Agree with factory management where each project will be stored in the factory during the various stages of production and ensure this is communicated to team.
- Ensure that own area is kept tidy and clean. Take the lead in getting approval for ditching clutter
- Suggest improvements to working practice which could improve production
- Co-operation: work with other departments for the benefit of the company rather than the glory of own team. Find ways to support other departments. Specialise in your own area while taking joint responsibility for production with the other charge hands.
- Carry out your share of the work in your production area
- Carry out other duties as required by your line manager
Hours of work
Monday to Thursday 0800 - 1700 Friday 0800 - 1630